Partner Billing Frequently Asked Questions
If your ChargeNet account billing is managed through your preferred billing partner, you may have questions about how this will affect your account. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions to get you started.
You will still receive an invoice when we have taken payment from your credit card or account balance. This can happen when you have initiated a charging session at an excluded site or placed an RFID FOB order. In some cases, you may have a credit on your account. For example, when you have converted some AA Smartfuel Discounts to ChargeNet credits in the past, this would cover a charge before it is invoiced through the partner.
A credit card is needed on your account to enable you to charge at any sites that may be excluded from partner billing discounts and to order RFID fobs.
ChargeNet will bill your credit card directly if accessing these sites and services. The terms and conditions may be different for each billing partner. Here is a high-level view of the excluded sites and services.
- Genesis: Excluded from partner billing are RFID FOB orders, sessions at private chargers, and charging sessions at the ‘Grey Lynn (Giltrap Audi)‘ site.
Discounts are defined by the plan you are on with your chosen billing partner. Please check the terms and conditions of your plan or contact your billing partner directly for more information on the discounts you receive.
The initial linking is completed on the partner website. Enter your ChargeNet account details when you are prompted. We then receive a linking request from the partner and validate the link to your ChargeNet account. Once we have linked the accounts, you will receive a confirmation email. To start a charging session, you can do this like you usually would – via the ChargeNet App, QR code, or RFID fob, and from now on, you will be charged through your chosen partner as part of your plan.
Once you’ve joined EVerywhere, your ChargeNet charging sessions will show on your Genesis bill. While subscribed to EVerywhere, you can easily view your charging history, savings, and transactions from Energy IQ. To start a charging session, you can do this like you usually would – via the ChargeNet App, QR code, or RFID fob.
If you can not link your account, it could be due to one of the following reasons:
- You have entered the wrong account details on the partner site. Please ensure your details are correct. Usually, you will need your email address, customer number, and password – you can find those on your account in the ChargeNet App.
- You may already be linked to another billing partner. If that is the case, you would need to unlink your account and establish a new link, as only enable one billing partner per account. You can be linked to a crediting partner like AA Smartfuel and convert AA Smartfuel Discounts into credits while receiving your bills through a partner.
- If your account is overdue, please settle the outstanding balance on your account by making a payment and try again.
- Another reason may be that you are on a shared or commercial account. These accounts are often more complex and currently do not allow partner billing.
ChargeNet reports all sessions immediately to the billing partner. Sessions will be billed within your usual billing cycle. You will need to check your partner billing account or contact the chosen partner for more information.
It’s best to contact your chosen billing partner for more information. ChargeNet passes through the detailed session information such as charging fees, idle fees where applicable, as well as any credits that may have already been applied. The partner will apply the discounts based on your plan prior to passing on the costs to you.
ChargeNet reports all sessions immediately to the billing partner. This means any sessions that happen while the link is active – unless excluded from partner billing – will be passed on. We stop passing through sessions as soon as you have unlinked.
You can unlink from partner billing similarly to how you joined by going to the partner site and managing your account. Once unlinked, we will email you to let you know that your payment method has changed. You can always contact the partner or ChargeNet if you need help.
If you had a positive balance on your account, for example, from converting AA Smartfuel Discounts into ChargeNet Credits. In that case, that balance will be used to cover your charging session costs partially or in full. For partial payments, ChargeNet still reports the whole session cost to the billing partner, where your credit fully covered a session, the session is not reported as there is no outstanding balance to cover. As not billed through the partner, their discounts would not applied to this session.
Partner Billing is intended for private accounts, and these need to be settled or on a positive balance before linking with a billing partner.
- If you have a negative balance and usually pay for your sessions by credit card, please make a manual payment to settle the account before attempting to link your account.
- Accounts can also only be linked to one billing partner at a time. If your account is already linked to a billing partner, you will be shown a prompt to unlink first.
- If you use ChargeNet as part of a commercial or company account or have monthly billing set up with us, your account does not qualify for partner billing. You will not see the option to link the account to a billing partner.
Be the first to know about new charger locations. Sign up for our monthly newsletter and get the latest EV news, updates, and special offers delivered to your inbox.